With extensive commercial law experience, Peter is a highly respected lawyer who has gained substantial experience both locally and internationally during his admirable career.
Previously, Peter worked for several years as general counsel in an ICT market-leader and gained in depth experience and insight as head of compliance with one of the world’s largest investment and retail banking groups, in which position he was responsible for its South African and other sub-Saharan African operations.
Peter was admitted to practice in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland in 1990 and in the United Kingdom in 1992.
Drawing from over 30 years of assisting a diverse range of sector-leading multinationals, listed and private entities and their management, Peter uses his business-orientated and pragmatic approach to advise and deliver solutions to his clients on general corporate and commercial issues and in the following specialist areas of law:
- foreign direct and indirect investment structures into South Africa and Mauritius;
- public and private mergers, acquisitions and disposals;
- insurance and reinsurance in South Africa and other major African countries;
- mining transactions;
- South African local (Black Economic Empowerment) ownership solutions;
- corporate finance and structuring;
- leveraged and management buy-outs and private equity transactions;
- film and television production and funding including DTI rebates;
- due diligence and forensics.
Insurance and reinsurance: for almost two decades, Peter has advised and assisted major international and local insurers and reinsurers, captives and insurance intermediaries based in South Africa and other African countries, the Channel Islands and The Virgin Islands. Insurance, reinsurance and related health laws, regulations and interpretations change frequently and business methods and offerings have to assess and address such changes and find innovative solutions whilst remaining compliant and profitable. Insurers and reinsurers are pursuing more careful investments and underwriting standards.
To meet those challenges and increasing capital requirements, competition, cost pressures in an ever-changing market, Peter has assisted clients on tax efficient business establishment structures, niche acquisitions, strategic alliances and the more effective management of disputes and regulatory compliance and challenges.